Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Sum of My Small Steps....


The other day I was doing some writing in my creative journal and I came across an entry I made more than a year ago that said "I am the sum of my small steps.  When my steps seem their smallest, it is then that I am learning the most".

I had forgotten that I made that entry until I read it again.

And today, the thought hit me again as I sat in the Reiki class I was teaching.  And I found myself explaining to my students that it is when you are at your lowest point in life that you are doing your greatest learning.

I can remember a time in my life when it felt like all I was doing was living on the high of life's peaks and the low's of life's valleys.  Up and down my emotions and life would go, consistently, day after day after day.

It felt like I wasn't getting anywhere at all.  My steps seemed so small.

I wasn't allowing myself the opportunity to nurture myself while I was in those valleys.  I would criticize and judge myself, then I would push through the fatigue, anxiety and depression to the next thing.

I eventually learned that the peaks and valleys that I experienced became less intense when I took the time to listen to my body and nurture my soul.

The emotional valleys are put on our paths to allow us time to rest.  When you are at rest, your body, mind and spirit are healing.  When you are allowing yourself time to rest you are expressing love and appreciation for the self.

Now my steps are a little bigger.  The peaks and valleys hardly noticeable. 

And when I look back I can see my tiny footprints that connect me to who I used to be and who I am now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)