Tuesday, December 29, 2009

This is who I am....

Lately I've been getting to know the child in me a little better.  Or maybe I should say I've been allowing myself to express my inner child more outwardly lately.


I have always felt like a kid in an adult body.  I love to sing, dance, move, laugh, color, create and dream!  I love toys and bright colors, I love children and listening to their thoughts and sharing moments with them.  And I have also always criticized myself for that. 

I think one reason we criticize or deny our inner child is that we were all kind of raised to believe that children should be seen and not heard and so when we are indulging our inner child we feel ashamed and embarrassed by it.


Each one of us has something about us that makes us appealing to the world around us and yet we constantly criticize ourselves for allowing our authenticity to light up the world.

I enjoy the innocence of my inner child.  I enjoy her laughter and her free flowing spirit.  She is healthy and strong and she deserves to be seen AND heard.

I have recently decided to start a group for grown ups that wish to re-connect to their inner child.  My intention is to have a variety of creative and simply play activities available for those who attend and for us to be able to have simple conversation about how it feels to let go of our inhibitions for a couple of hours and indulge in "play therapy".

Thinking about this workshop makes me giggle.  It proves to my inner child that she is important to me and that I am interested in opening other people up to allowing their inner child to express themselves as well.

Do you know what your "special" quality is that makes you someone people want to be with?

Sometimes our most special quality is the thing we discriminate against the most within ourselves.  But that quality that you think is embarrassing or unnecessary matters to everyone around you, it is most likely the quality that attracts certain people to you in the first place.

Personally, I think becoming aware of these qualities within ourselves and taking ownership for them brings us tremendous power, a feeling of relief in knowing that this is who we are.

Instead of fighting against your innate abilities, your gifts and tools of the trade; embrace them, appreciate them and acknowledge the courage it takes to do so.

 

1 comment:

  1. I am learning this very thing about myself and to add to your wonderful words, I also believe that sometimes people have too much old stuff inside that doesn't allow them to channel the inner child. Giving yourself permission is a struggle with some and I encourage you to do this class more so because of the resistance you may feel. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Thinking about how silly you may look or appear can styfle you for and eternity if you decide to not let go of your power. The gifts we have came with us and the ability to play was the best time of our lives. GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION to have fun again in a safe environment of others that may feel the same. Together is how we women accomplish certain feats and hurdles.
    Love you Jen

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)