Friday, June 29, 2012

What Our World Needs....

When my boys were younger and they would bring their report cards home, I would immediately go to the place on the report that tells how they are doing socially.  You know the part that the teacher writes just for your child.

That was the only part I was concerned about.

Sure, the A's and B's were nice to see, but I wasn't obsessed with them.  What I really wanted to know was how my kids got along with others, were they valued as a part of the class, did they participate often.  Things like that.

Once your kids reach high school it's all about the grades.  The teacher rarely says things like "your child drives me crazy, he doesn't do his homework, he talks in class AND I can still see his potential even though he can't see it for himself yet".

Last night our oldest son graduated high school.  He did it minus the flying colors, accolades and scholarships; but he did it.  And I'm proud of him, not just because he got through high school but because in the process of going through the drama of high school he's learned for himself what his potential is.

We sat with him at dinner and he made us laugh with his funny faces and riddles.  He shared what he learned through his relationships over the last four years.  He's got a mind of his own and it's filled with inspired thoughts and ideas.

He's a great kid.  And I realize now that all of the worrying and fussing over his low grades and disinterest in homework were for nothing.  Because really at the end of the day what the world needs is more people like him.  People who will work hard at things they love, not just for the things they are told they are supposed to love.  People who are free thinking and won't take 'No' for an answer.

Our world needs change and these kids are the change our world needs.

In the Valedictorian speech, it was said that they all need to start today in realizing their own potential and dreams and turn away from what others tell them they should be doing with their lives.  I could feel the collective fear of the parents in the room (since every parent wants what's best for their child but we really have no idea what that is).  But it was advice well given.  It's time for these young adults to spread their wings and fly.

Because that's what our world needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)