Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wouldn't it be great?

Wouldn't it be great if you could sit around a table with people who you've experienced hurt with and laugh about it.

Wouldn't it be great if even after many years of not communicating, assuming the worst about eachother and digging into a fresh chapter of your 'story' you could sit and sip a latte and discuss with those people how utterly ridiculous it all was.

Wouldn't it be great if even though you have said things that you now wish you could take back and replace with something a little more intelligent you could pick up the phone and call that person and get a warm welcome.

Wouldn't it be great if we all didn't walk around with so much shame and guilt inside of us for past experiences that we could truly forgive ourselves and others?

When I think of world peace, this is the concept I think of.  Wars in the world end when the wars in our personal worlds do.

With so much emotion and so much misunderstanding sometimes in our lives, as humans we still seek the only thing that has and ever will matter.  Love.  To love and to be loved.  By everyone in our life.  Even by those we don't always agree with, especially by those we don't always agree with.

It's simple really.  Love doesn't require words, or gifts or even face to face apologies.  Love only requires a willingness to be in eachothers presence so that it can be felt and understood.

I had a friend once that gave me the greatest gift she ever could give to me.  That was the willingness to open her life to me again after we had parted ways in an unpleasant way.  After not speaking for a year or so I sat behind her at a school function.  The entire time my heart just kept opening up to her to the point where I just wanted to give her a big hug.  I missed her presence in my life.  After the function I went home and sent her an email (yes I chickened out of going straight to her front door, for fear she would slam it in my face and reject me - yes, I have rejection issues!) asking her to consider our friendship, she thought it over and came back to me with a 'yes'. 

Our friendship wasn't the same as it was before.  It was the fact that I could have tea with her again, or say hello in passing, or be in the same room and smile at eachother again that made all the difference to me.

When there is disconnect in a relationship it feels excruciating to me.  It feels like a giant piece of myself is missing.  I am a firm believer that not all relationships are meant to last, I believe wholeheartedly that we are all here to serve a purpose for eachother and then move on when the time comes.  But moving on with love is very different than moving on with anger and hurt.

Because no matter what the situation, down the road when your eyes are clearer and your mind is more open things begin to make sense and your heart begins to forgive and reach out, and it is at that point that it would be nice to be able to express that and have it accepted.

Wouldn't that be great!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)