Wednesday, May 28, 2014

What We Most Need To Learn

"What we most need to learn is also what we most love to teach."

I once read this ideal somewhere in a book.  It made me pause and recall all of the things I love to talk about and all of the things I love to share with others as well as all of the times I had felt uncomfortable sharing  because I considered myself extremely inadequate at teaching what I felt I didn't have a firm grasp of in the first place.

Forgiveness; self love; gratitude; non-judgement; worthiness.  These are all things I love to talk about and if I am following the late Debbie Fords genius advice and I 'attend my own lectures' I learn a whole lot about myself; my fears, beliefs and dreams.  Attending my own lectures shows me where I am holding myself back and what is propelling me forward.

In my opinion, when we attend our own lecture it is the equivalent of sitting at the feet of God.  It is like you are tapping into the wisdom of who you are and being shown where you need more self love.

For a long time I believed that the opposite was true.  I believed that the teacher would need to have already learned what they were wanting to teach.  I felt as though I was unworthy of sharing anything because I wasn't an 'expert'.  I needed more courses, more certificates, more books on my shelf to be 'qualified'.  Didn't I?

After getting a hold of the idea that what I most need to learn is what I most love to teach; I began to pay more attention to my sharings.  I began to realize that the more I learned the more I taught and the more I learned, the more I taught, and so on.

I believe that this is how it is designed to be.  We are here for each other.  To lift up, support, hold, comfort, embrace, guide and love.  We do this through sharing; through saying to someone 'hey I remember that happened to me and this is how I dealt with it and this is how I learned from that dealing and this is how I may have done it differently now that I know what I know'.

This is like sharing your sand pail and shovel in the sand box at the park.  It's a bridge to human connection.  It is sometimes a lifeline for someone in need.

So while there is a whole lot that I DO like to talk about there is an equal amount I don't want to talk about.  Personally, I am working on letting people see my darkness.  It's dark in there.  Scary dark.  I'm scared that everyone will run and hide from it.  So I don't share.  I don't share on purpose and what happens when I don't share?  There is no learning and there is no healing.

So my promise to myself is to share more of that darkness.  To shine a little light on my vulnerability.  Who knows I may learn something {wink}.















5 comments:

  1. I loved this post. I'm going through the same see saw with just letting it all out. You are so right about sharing and learning. I get stuck thinking I need to know everything before talking on it. Thank you for sharing this. Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...this post is like a breath of fresh air. Thank you for sharing your experience, Jenn. We are all students of life - constantly learning and growing. It's silly to think we need a piece of paper to be legit - it's a matter of believing in oneself and one's worth (not easy but so worth the effort!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Jenn! As Brene Brown says: "Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change." Be vulnerable so we can learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AS Brene Brown says: "Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change." Thank you for being vulnerable so that we too can learn from your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)