Monday, October 8, 2012

Gratitude for our Teachers

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers."  ~ Khalil Gibran

Isn't this the truth?

Usually these teachers are the people in our life that give us the most grief and so we tend to overlook the extreme gifts they are giving us in these lessons.

Today is Thanksgiving.  And what better way to give thanks than to go back briefly into past events and look at all of the great teachers we've invited into our lives and send them some gratitude.

I mean, let's face it.  It's a tough job to get us to look deeper at ourselves and get us to change!  Who else is going to teach you toleration but someone who is extremely intolerant?

Of course, those teachers that Khalil Gibran was speaking of, aren't aware that they are teaching us a great and valuable lesson.  But it is still up to us to find the gratitude for those things, no matter how horribly horrendous the lesson might have been.

In fact, finding gratitude for the teachers in our lives, helps them find their own peace and their own lessons.

 

2 comments:

  1. I have been trying to learn this lesson in a situation I've been thrust into. I've been trying to learn how to accept and MOVE ON even though I am still unhappy with the responsibilities I now must assume. Even writing it down seems as though I am still dwelling on it. I am. I am still dwelling. Gah... Trying to let it GO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD and move ON.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Tracey I've been doing the SAME thing over here. I have recognized there is a lesson for me in this new experience. I do see where a particular person is showing me how to be tolerant BUT I am still dwelling. I feel shitty when I'm dwelling and I want to stop and at the same time I can't. It's frustrating! I'm right beside you on this one. Keep your chin up and know that even though you might be dwelling and you might hate it, everything is going to work out just fine :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)