Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Monkey See, Monkey Do!

Everything you do, say and think as a parent has a tremendous effect on your child.


I’m sure you’ve heard that before.

If you have a low self esteem, your child will develop that same low self esteem.

It’s been scientifically proven that children who grow up in a home where addictions are present are more likely to adopt addictive behaviours as well.

The same is true if you have a positive, upbeat attitude. Your child will adopt this as well.

My husband and I talk a lot about this in our home.

How does what I am doing and who I am being in the moment affect my boys?

What am I teaching them when I lose my cool or talk poorly about myself?

Can I empower my children to be the best they can be when I settle for the leftovers that life hands out?

My point is that your child learns the most from observing you.

You cannot teach a child how to stand up against a bully if you yourself are being bullied by someone in your life.

I like to remind my clients that their children are reflections of themselves. Our children will show us exactly where we need to do a little tweaking on ourselves. Everytime! They are generous that way.

I need to remind myself constantly of this. As a human being there are lots of things that trigger emotions or keep me from being more present with my kids.

The key is to become more aware of how much time is being spent in being emotionally triggered as opposed to maintaining rational thinking and positivity. The more you keep track of the kind of behaviour you exhibit that is sure to drive you nuts in your own child the more you will naturally shift to what feels better and what will translate into calmer, happier behaviour in your child.

Because just like the old saying goes ‘Monkey See, Monkey Do”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)