Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Complaint Free

Last Thursday my husband and I attended an event called "A Complaint Free World" the speaker's name was Pastor Will Bowen.

He spoke about how complaining affects our health, relationships and careers. He explained that every day we complain about everything we encounter and then we are surprised when the outcome of our day isn't exactly joy and bliss.

This is not news to me. I have studied the Law of Attraction and I totally accept the ideal of what we think and speak about, we bring about. But oddly enough I realized I had not been closely monitoring my own tendency to complain.

Pastor Will gave out purple bracelets to everyone in the audience and encouraged us to wear them. And each time we recognized that we were complaining, gossiping or griping we were to switch the bracelet's to the other wrist, back and forth.

The goal is to make it 21 days without moving the bracelet, 21 days without complaining. Each time you complain, no matter how many days you have gone without complaining you still switch the bracelet to the other wrist and start back at the beginning. I am still on day 1. We got our bracelets last Thursday.

I noticed this weekend that my husbands bracelet didn't seem to be moving. Then I realized that he really wasn't talking to anybody, either.

Not until yesterday in the car did he complain about a driver ahead of him. He turned to me and asked "was that complaining". I replied "well, if you have to ask then it probably was". He immediately switched his bracelet with a sigh and we both had a good laugh about it.

I think this idea of a complaint free world is brilliant. I think the idea of having to switch a bracelet every time you complain about something is an ingenious way to curb a very negative habit.

I am a pretty positive person and was totally disgusted with myself that I had to switch my bracelet more than a dozen times the first day!

I complain a lot! We all complain a lot! Maybe not about the same things, but we complain none the less.

So today is still day 1 for me, I am hoping to make it one full day without complaining. It's exciting to think about because each day that I make it means one more day without complaints going out into the world, and no adverse side effects coming back to me.

This is a very good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)