Thursday, June 14, 2012

Your Not The Only One

This topic came up briefly in conversation while traveling home from Pelee Island this weekend.

At first I thought it was funny and kind of cute to think about. 

And then that cute little seed started to grow and I got to realizing that this is a great concept when you are feeling frustrated with your relationships and the people around you.

So what's the topic?

When you're feeling like you want to run screaming from a relationship, maybe you're not the only one.  Maybe the other person can't stand the sight of you either.

Nice huh?

And as I typed those words my tummy did a somersault and my mind immediately said "this is not a very nice topic to discuss, you should find something more pleasant to talk about".


Oh, so we've hit a nerve then (apparently my mind is new around here).

The fact is that we don't want to admit to ourselves that we might be wrong or flawed or unworthy of anyone's attention and time.  Heaven forbid someone actually think about us the way we may be thinking about them! 

Truthfully though common sense tells me that if I'm irritated with someone then sure as shit they are doing their best to handle my flaws as well (my marriage is a prime example of this!  My hubby deserves a medal!).  But sometimes we just don't see it that way.

We all know what it feels like to get into our self righteous attitude about how someone else is just the most vile person in the world to live with (or work with, or travel with, etc).  We feel 'better than' another.  We feel superior and justified.

(there goes that tummy flipping again)

And maybe bringing your mind into the space where you can consider yourself just as flawed isn't the most comfortable thing to do.  But it is something.  A step in a new direction where you can better understand why you feel this way or why you believe others need to be worthy before you can give them your time, patience and appreciation.

Because really at the end of the day, what you see in others is what you see in yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Oh so true...and something to remember the next time I get irritated by someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have our flaws and shortcomings, and quirks...god knows I do! lol! I always notice that everyone wants every one to put up with their stuff but has no tolerance for others. If we want others to be loving and tolerant of us, then we need to show others the same treatment. Because as you say...maybe they can't stand you either! And we get the same treatment we hand out to others.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)