Monday, October 31, 2011

Being the Change

This is the Halloween that I decide to stand in my truth.

I will not be handing out Halloween treats at the door.

My lights will be off.

I have become the old woman on the street that doesn't want anyone to bother her.

BOO!

Honestly though, this decision has been years in the making.  And it's only now that I feel confident enough in my choice to actually pull it off.

Interesting huh?  It's just candy!  What's the big deal?

Like most things there is a ton of pressure put on people to go along with the status quo, spend your child's college education savings on over-processed treats filled with enough toxins that the children of the world will be spinning in and out of sugar induced control for days, weeks even MONTHS!

Not to mention the fear of having my house egged and my trees toilet papered.  Do kids still do that to the cheapos that don't hand out candy?

There are so many kids challenged by weight and food sensitivity issues.  Why are we still indulging in this 'tradition'?  And is there another way to continue with the fun of halloween without suppressing our immune systems at the same time?

I wonder how much money is made by these companies every year throughout the various holidays?

I bet it's enough money to feed an entire starving country! 

That same starving country that I heard Westerners were sending their candy too last year!!! 

Oh My God!!!  What are we thinking?

All of this has been swirling around in my mind over the past month.

And when my husband questioned my sanity last night with raised eyebrows and "you're REALLY  not handing out candy this year?"  I realized just how important this decision is for me.

It's time to BE the change I want to see in the world (and if not the world, at least in my house) and being the change means taking one small step in the direction of that change.  Even if the step is as small as not participating in the process of keeping our children stuck in their health challenges.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome Jen - I totally support your decision! Sugar is the devil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your gumption Jenn! It's inspiring to know that there are other moms out there who are willing to stand up to these societal standards which are killing us (in so many ways). Keep up the momentum, I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)