Saturday, September 17, 2011

Inspired living!

There are many times when we have a burning desire to do something and then in the next instant we have an extinguishing fear of doing it.

Suddenly a list of all the reasons why we cannot accomplish that burning desire begins to surface.

I've spent the past couple of months in the 'extinguishing fear' part.

What is my burning desire?  To educate and mentor parents who want to have a stronger, more open and respectful relationship with their adolescent/teen.

The extinguishing fear?  I am not a perfect parent.  I yell sometimes, I am unreasonable sometimes.  I am not perfect.

And in my mind, only perfect parents can educate other parents.

Ha!

The other day I heard myself say "I want to educate and mentor parents while I am still in the mode of parenting.  I don't want to wait until I am 65 and my kids are grown to do this, I want to do it now while I am still learning and still 'doing' the parenting thing". 

I want to do this so that I can stand beside each and every struggling parent who has woken up one day to stare down a kid they have no idea how to relate to; and help them adjust, help them find a way to relate to them.

At 14 my son was out of control.  Anger, violence, disrespect and threats were part of our everyday.  So much so that he spent more time at a friends house than he did at home because I just couldn't handle it.

People would tell me to get used to it and that it wouldn't end until he was 21!

I remember feeling dazed and confused.  How in the hell was I going to get through this all the while thinking "oh my goodness, I have 2 more as well!"

Cut to today.  My 17 year old (not 21) is loving, caring and kind.  There are no more threats, no more violence, no more anger.  When I get upset he talks to me rationally.  When he gets upset I talk to him rationally. 

I have a 14 year old as well and he hasn't exhibited any of the 'expected' teenager 'symptoms'.

Oh yes, we still get eye rolls and we still get "I'll do it later" when they are asked to do something.

But, I have turned my family's life around.  I have done that.  I did not access a perfect parent, I learned on my own, I did the work on my own and I did this for my family.

And I know I can do it for many others as well!

So those extinguishing fears are getting kicked to the curb!

If you have a burning desire to do something.  Just do it!

Life is meant for the living, not for those that think about living!

One last thing.  You feel a burning desire when you are meant to do something fabulous.  Burning desires don't come around every day you know.  So take action!  Take that burning desire and fly!  The world will thank you for it later!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)