Saturday, July 9, 2011

What's the worst that can happen?

This is a great question to ask yourself when you are stuck in a situation and feeling a ton of fear about making a decision that might not be too popular with the rest of the world.

I asked myself this question last week.

In fact, I ask myself this question alot.

And what I have found is that everytime I ask and answer this question, I find that the worst isn't really that bad.

In fact, if I think about it, what I would consider being the 'worst' thing that could ever happen, has actually already happened to me.

Nothing the mind can make up at this point holds a candle to some of the things I've already experienced.

And I would suspect that you would feel the same way (unless you've lived in a bubble all of your life).

Think of the worst thing that has ever happened to you in this lifetime.  Think about the time you felt most alone, most afraid, most sad.

Now think about the fears that are holding you back from achieving a level of success in your life.

Now ask yourself. What is truly the worst that can possibly happen?

If the worst happens, will I be okay? Will I overcome it?

For me, being rejected is a fate worse than death.  Yet I reject myself all of the time, I've been rejected by many people in the past and I've done some rejecting myself from time to time.

Guess what?  I'm still living.  I'm still breathing.  In fact, I am better than ever despite all that rejection going on!

Hmmm.

So really what is the worst that can happen if you make that career change (even if it is a pay cut); dump that boyfriend/girlfriend who doesn't treat you right (even if he/she tells you you won't find anyone else) or spend the day lounging in a comfy chair (when you know you should be doing something more productive)?

Chances are it's not as bad as what your mind has been telling you.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you think, Jenn. It's like we're on the same page. In the last few months I've changed jobs and kicked an ex to the curb. The worst that happened is I lost a job I hated working for people I did not respect and ended a relationship that wasn't going anywhere or added anything to my life. It's living your life on your own terms. The fear is still there but the fun is jumping in and accepting the rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Scribe! Now that I am making decisions more boldly and speaking my truth I am finding more little fears than I knew I had and it is so much fun to 'ping' them away and move on without them! Hooray for us for being so brave! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)