Sunday, October 18, 2009

Love your Body

When was the last time you sent some love to your body? 

Our bodies are amazing machines and yet we go through our lives not appreciating them in the way they need to be appreciated.

It's quite easy to show your body some love.  You could cut back on junky, greasy foods and enjoy a nice healthy meal for a change.  You could spend some time outdoors, walking or working in the yard working up a sweat and filling your body with much needed oxygen.  You could join a gym and give yourself and your body the gift of time spent focusing solely on it 3-4 times a week.  There are many things to do to show your body some love.

Yesterday, I was in the mood for some shopping.  But as many women (and some men) know that just because your brain is in the mood to shop doesn't mean your body will cooperate.  And so it was that I went from store to store carrying armloads of clothing into the dreaded dressing rooms to try on.  I walked out with 3 pieces of clothing from 3 different stores.  Each time I stood in front of the mirror critiquing the current piece I was trying I noticed all of the lumps, bumps, curves and dimples.  I would take a deep breath and suck in my stomach pushing my chest out in the attempt to look better.  It was starting to get quite depressing actually.  I do spend quite a bit of time at the gym.  "Apparently not enough" is what my mind was saying.

Just as I was about to give up on my body I reminded my self that changing how I feel about myself is as easy as flipping a switch.  And so as I waited for a larger size from the sales woman I stood in front of the mirror taking in my entire being.  I began to attach a memory to each body part, a memory of when that particular part served me well.  My belly (4 pregnancies), My arms (cradling my babies as they nursed, when they were hurt or just in need of a hug), My legs (are healthy enough that I can run or walk anywhere I want), My behind (okay this one was a little harder, but I'm pretty sure it helped me to attract my husband, heehee).

The point is that each part of our body has a story, we can attach a happy memory to each portion of what we sometimes are not too happy with and change our attitude.  By the time I was on my way back home I was in a different mood about the experience, I was excited about my few purchases and proud of myself for not putting them back on the rack in frustration.

When you start to love your body, your body responds by being healthier and stronger.  Just like a houseplant that doesn't get watered or fertilized, it will simply wilt and die away.  Your body is the same way without the proper nourishment, attention and love it will slowly wilt and ultimately die.

I encourage you to stand in front of your mirror today and see your body for the truth that it holds.  The truth that it is always of service to you, that it deserves the same honor and respect as anything else in your life.  It might seem silly at first, and it might take you a bit to find something good about it but I promise you once you start to realize all the gifts that your body has given to you, it will become easier and easier to be happy with the look and feel of your body.

Take this exercise to the next level by journalling the results of this experience.  Putting things in writing makes the experience much more powerful.

Enjoy your body!  It's the only one you get!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn, an important reminder! I really enjoy your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much.... I en-JOY your comments!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your respectful comments :)